Veterinary Services staff are active in primary research, publication, participation in professional training and conferences, and grant submissions.
- Use of anesthetics on invertebrates
- Pharmacokinetic study in spiders
- Monarch butterfly parasites
- Stabilization of turtle limb fractures
- Redhorse fish plasma biochemistry evaluation
- Lidocaine toxicity in turtles
- Koi endoscopy
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- Dombrowski, D. S., C. Vanderklok, and A. VanWettere. In Press. Curative Surgical excision of a squamous cell carcinoma associated with the digit of an American Bullfrog, Lithobates catesbeianus. J Herp Med Surg.
- Webb K. L., Dombrowski, D. S., & Grindem C.B., In Press. What is your diagnosis? A soft tissue mass in a black rat snake. Vet Clin Path.
- Archibald, K. E. , L. J. Minter, D. S. Dombrowski, J. L. O’Brien, & G. A. Lewbart, 2015. Cystic Urolithiasis in captive waxy monkey frogs (Phyllomedusa sauvagii). J Zoo and Wildl Med. 46(1):105-12.
- Shivappa RB, Christian LS, Noga EJ, Law JM, Lewbart GA. 2015. Evaluation of Safety and Efficacy For MELAFIX® (Melaleuca caju-puti extract). Journal of Exotic Pet Medicine. 24(2): 188-192.
- Salgado MA, Lewbart GA, Christian LS, Griffith EH, Law JM. 2014. Evaluation of five different suture materials in the skin of the earthworm (Lumbricus terrestris). Springerplus 2014; 3:423.
- Minter LJ, Dombrowski DS, Stoskopf MK, Purnell CA, Loomis MR, DeVoe RS. 2013. Hematology and Plasma Biochemical Values for Free Ranging Cottonmouths (Agkistrodon piscivorus) in Central North Carolina. Herpetological Conservation and Biology. 8(2): 321-334.
- Allender MC, Mitchell MA, McRuer D, Christian LS, Byrd J. 2013. Prevalence, clinical signs, and natural history characteristics of frog virus 3-like infections in Eastern Box Turtles (Terrapene carolina carolina). Herpetological Conservation and Biology 8(2): 308-320.
- Waffa BJ, Montgerard AC, Grafinger MS, Christian LS, Dombrowski DS, Lewbart GA. 2012. Dorsal laminectomy in a Two-Toed Amphiuma (Amphiuma means). Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine. 43(4): 927–930.
- Raske M, Lewbart GA, Dombrowski DS, Hale P, Correa M, Christian LS. 2012. Body temperatures of selected amphibian and reptile species. Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine. 43(3): 517-521.
- Ward JL, Hall K, Christian LS, Lewbart GA. 2012. Plasma biochemistry and condition of confiscated hatchling pig-nosed turtles (Carettochelys insculpta). Herpetological Conservation and Biology. 7(1): 38-45.
- Dombrowski DS, DeVoe RS, Lewbart GA. 2012. Comparison of Isoflurane and Carbon Dioxide Anesthesia in Chilean Rose Tarantulas (Grammostola rosea). Zoo Biology. 00: 1-6
Contributions to Veterinary Textbooks
- Dombrowski DS and Christian LS. 2015. 6 Case Reports. Ornamental Fish: Self-Assessment Color Review 2nd Ed. Lewbart GA (editor), CRC Press. Boca Raton, FL. Submitted for publication.
- Christian LS. 2012. Sources of Invertebrates and Supplies. In: Invertebrate Medicine, 2nd Ed. Lewbart GA (editor), Blackwell Publishing. Ames, Iowa. pp 463-470.
- Cooper JE and Dombrowski DS. 2012. Butterfly Houses. In: Invertebrate Medicine, 2nd Ed. Lewbart GA (editor), Blackwell Publishing. Ames, Iowa. pp 323-334.
- Dombrowski DS and Cooper ME. 2012. Laws, Rules, and Regulating Agencies for Invertebrates: U.S. and International. In: Invertebrate Medicine, 2nd Ed. Lewbart GA (editor), Blackwell Publishing. Ames, Iowa. pp 401-430.
- Dombrowski DS and Christian LS. 2013. Introduction to Health Management of Fishes and Amphibians. Abstract from the 40th Annual National Conference of the American Association of Zoo Keepers.
- DeVoe RS and Dombrowski DS. Introduction to Amphibian Health Management. 2013. 1st North Carolina Congress of Herpetology, NCPARC/NCHS Annual Meeting.
- Collier CM, Lewbart GA, Spaulding K, DeBolt R, Christian LS, Lowe M. 2013. Oxytocin-induced ovoposition in an anorexic and injured Chicken Turtle (Deirochelys reticularia). Proceedings of the 44th Annual Conference of the International Association for Aquatic Animal Medicine.
- Mavromatis MV, Lewbart GA, Christian LS. 2012. The Chelonian Gift Of Giving: Eastern Box Turtle (Terrapene carolina carolina) Blood Transfusion Protocols. Proceedings of the 43th Annual Conference of the International Association for Aquatic Animal Medicine.
- Petty BD, Francis-Floyd R, Lewbart GA, Christian LS, 2012. And The Heart Stopped. Proceedings of the 37th Annual Eastern Fish Health Workshop.
- Junior Curator Amphibian Health Chytrid Monitoring Workshop. 2014
- Veterinary Services Comparative Anatomy Fish Necropsy Demonstration: As part of the NCMNS Careers Showcase: Animal Edition! 2014
- Handling and Care of Exotic Animals in Emergency Situations: As part of the US Public Health Service Scientific and Training Symposium. 2014
- Fish Anatomy and External Parasite Screening: As part of the ECU/NCSU Collaborative at the Gateway Technology Center’s Summer Veterinary Camp. 2012
Grants and Awards
- Institute of Museum and Library Services- “Museums For America” Grant: Friends of the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences’ proposal to Enhance the Visitor Experience at the Nature Research Center. 2013
- NC Veterinary Medical Association- “High 5” Grant: Promote community service as well as compassion and health for the people and animals of North Carolina. 2012 and 2013