Museum Information415 South Madison Street
Whiteville, NC 28472
- Tuesday–Saturday, 9am–5pm
Admission is free. Donations appreciated.
The museum experience in Whiteville is modeled after proven interactive programs at the Museum’s Raleigh-based Nature Research Center, Nature Exploration Center, and Prairie Ridge Ecostation for Wildlife and Learning, and has several key features.
- Investigate Lab: Visitors of all ages can discover the scientific process by trying a range of experiments with tools and techniques including microscopes, pipettes and more.
- Naturalist Center: Featuring an extensive collection of specimens from butterflies to bear claws, snakes to seahorses, and sand dollars to spiders, visitors are encouraged to explore the natural collection.
- Nature PlaySpace: Designed to celebrate the importance of outdoor play in the lives and education of children, the space includes areas for art, digging, and exploration. Children can climb over logs, roll in the grass, make mud pies, observe nature and dig for fossils.
- Discovery Forest: Developed for young children and families to discover natural wonders from bird wings to beaver sticks, the space is an ideal area for intergenerational learning.
- In Your Backyard Resource Center: An information area — featuring material about state parks, aquariums, and other sites within the NC Department of Natural and Cultural Resources — where visitors can plan to continue their exploration of North Carolina’s natural places.
- Distance Learning Classroom: A space designed to virtually link visitors and students at the Whiteville Museum with scientists at the Raleigh Museum and other locations.
For more information, contact the Museum at 910.914.4185, or email@example.com.
Teen Science Cafes
Teen Science Cafes offer an informal setting for teens to learn about STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics). Each Cafe features a professional speaking on a topic chosen by teens, an activity relating to the discussion, snacks, and time to network with other teens who enjoy science. Cafes are held the third Friday of the month, 5-6:30pm, September–May. Free. Teens must be picked up before 7pm.
For the most up-to-date information, like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram @teensciencecafewhiteville, or call the Museum at 910.914.4185.