The North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences at Whiteville is currently open to the public with some new procedures, new hours and new plans in place to help ensure the safety of staff and guests.
The Museum will be opening outdoor spaces only, including the Nature PlaySpace, NC Tree Trail, and Fossil Pit during an initial opening period.
Restrooms and the Museum Store will be available in the lobby, with extra precautions including limited capacity, but hands-on spaces will remain closed during this initial opening period.
Note the Museum’s new hours are:
- Open Tuesday-Saturday, 9am–1pm
- Closed Sunday and Monday
Additionally, new safety plans include:
- Enhanced cleaning of the facilities will take place multiple times throughout the day with a focus on restrooms and frequently touched areas.
- A directional flow through the lobby and restroom area has been established to promote social distancing
- Hand sanitizer will be available at the Museum
- Staff will wear cloth face masks when in contact with guests
- Play items are available to check out from the visitor services desk for use in the Nature PlaySpace. These will be returned and cleaned by Museum staff after each use.
- Per Gov. Cooper’s Executive Order 163, proper face coverings are required of all Museum staff and visitors (age 5 and up).
The Museum’s onsite programming is temporarily postponed for the health and safety of guests. Areas within the Museum that will remain closed during the initial opening period include:
- Discovery Forest
- Investigate Labs
- The Naturalist Corner
- The Fossil Lab
- Additional small permanent exhibits (areas) where social distancing is not possible
Visitors are encouraged to follow the “Three Ws” as outlined by the N.C. Dept. of Health and Human Services – WEAR a cloth face covering; WAIT in line at least six feet away from others, and WASH hands frequently or use hand sanitizer. If you are experiencing symptoms of illness, we ask that you postpone your visit.
If you are not ready to visit the Museum in person yet, remember you can visit virtually through the Museum Facebook page at facebook.com/NCMNSWhiteville, where you’ll find live virtual programming, do it yourself activities, and videos.
Keep up to date with our plans by visiting the Museum website at naturalsciences.org or following the Museum on social media (@NCMNSWhiteville). For additional questions email us at email@example.com. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Museum Information415 South Madison Street
Whiteville, NC 28472
Admission is free. Donations appreciated.