Teen Science Cafés Are Back!
Cafes will be held in person at the Daily Planet Cafe and streamed online on YouTube. Register for ONLINE participation to receive the link.
Teen Science Cafés bring teens together in an informal setting to learn about science and technology. Cafés happen from 6pm to 7pm the first Friday of each month during the school year. Each café will include a scientist presentation, an interactive activity relating to the discussion, a Q&A session, and time to socialize with other teens that enjoy science. This program is recommended for participants ages 11–17. This is a FREE event. Registration is required for online participation.
- September 9, 2022: Teen Science Trivia!
- October 7, 2022: Ancient DNA: The Making of a Celebrity Science, with paleontology Postdoctoral Researcher Dr. Elizabeth Jones
- November 4, 2022: Marine Biology, with UNC-Wilmington Master's student Elizabeth Farquhar
- December 2, 2022: Water Resources Engineering with Wildlands Engineering
- January 6, 2023: Ecology Presentation, with Dr. Karen Kandl, University of Western Carolina
- February 3, 2023: Hydrology & Carbon Cycling, with Dr. Diego Riveros-Iregui, professor/researcher at UNC-Chapel Hill
- March 3, 2023: Animal Behavior and Sharks, with Michelle Jewell, a science communicator at NCSU's Department of Applied Ecology
- April 14, 2023: The Chemistry of Disease, with Dr. Erin Baker, Associate Professor at NCSU
- September 10, 2021: Teen Science Trivia!
- October 1, 2021: Diversifying the Outdoors
- November 5, 2021: Photosynthesis
- December 3, 2021: Strength in Numbers
- January 7, 2022: Astronomy
- February 4, 2022: The Pandemic
- March 4, 2022: Hurricanes
- April 1, 2022: Chemistry & Creating New Medicines
Couldn’t make it to a past Café? Don’t worry! All of our past Teen Science Cafés were recorded and shared on our YouTube channel.
View past Cafés on Livestream!
(For a playlist, click on the Event Posts button at the upper right.)
Teen Science Cafés Online
Want to get involved in planning and leading Teen Science Cafes? Apply today to become a Cafe Coordinator!
If you would like to attend a Teen Science Café and live in southeastern North Carolina, our Whiteville branch has you covered! Teen Science Cafes are held in Whiteville on the third Friday of each month from 5 to 6:30 pm.
Whiteville Events Calendar