Operations Manager, Paleontology
121 West Jones Street, Raleigh, NC 27601
- M.S. Biology, North Carolina State University, 2019
- B.S. in Geology, Western Illinois University, 1994
- M.A. in Sociology, DePaul University, 2011
Lisa sees the field of paleontology as an interconnected science, and considers all components to the process of research and discovery as essential. She particularly focusses on the materials and methods that are necessary to understand and discover the evolutionary and ecological history of life on earth. To that end, Lisa participates in the process from field collecting, to data management, fossil preparation,conservation, curation, measurement, analysis and presentation. Her main goals are to develop and promote best practices in the science of paleontology.
Her current work includes focussing on improving data management at the museum, overseeing preparation and training, studying new specimens of a unique clade of Mesozoic turtle known as Helochelydridae, and researching unique solutions to the problem of pyrite decay in collections.
- Hell Creek Formation; Montana 2017 - :
- Moreno Hill, Menefee, and Crevasse Canyon Formations; New Mexico 2016 - :
- Mussentuchit Member, Cedar Mountain Formation; Utah 2012 - :
- Ingersoll Shale; Alabama 2012
- Pekin Formation; North Carolina 2012 - :
- Yellow Cat Member; Cedar Mountain Formation; Utah 2012 - :
- Green River Formation; Wyoming 1999, 2001, 2004-2007, 2009
- Big Horn Basin; Wyoming 2003, 2004
- 20. Beguesse K, Canoville A, Herzog L, Zanno LE. 2019. Bone Pathologies In The Early Cretaceous Therizinosaurian Falcarius Utahensis. J Vert Paleontol Progr Abstr, 2019, 60.
- 19. Herzog L, Makovicky PJ, Zanno LE. 2019. Comparative Osteology Of Entoplastra Reveals Their Diagnostic Utility For Differentiating North American Helochelydrid Species J Vert Paleontol Progr Abstr, 2019, 117.
- 18. Herzog , L. 2019. Understanding the Mechanisms of Pyrite Decay. Making the Case for Natural History Collections: Program & Abstracts of the 34th Annual Meeting of the Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections.
- 17. Herzog, L. 2018. Pyrite Decay Mitigation. Abstracts of the 11th Association for Materials and Methods in Paleontology Annual Meeting. Platform presentation
- 16. Button K, Cross L, Rende K, Weaver PG, Van Veldhuizen JA, Herzog LL, Zanno. 2017. Turning Teens Into FossilPhiles: Citizen Science and Advanced Visualization of Paleontological Collections. Geol Soc Am Abstr Programs 2017, 142
- 15. Van Veldhuizen JA, Weaver PG, Zanno LE, Herzog LL. 2017. Developing a Workflow for Transferring and Rehousing Specimens During a Cabinetry Upgrade: A Case Study from the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences. Association for Materials and Methods in Paleontology Annual Meeting, 10 th , Austin, TX p53
- 14. Herzog, L. Zanno, L.E., and Mackoviky, P. J. 2015. New Records of Solemydid Turtles in North America: specimens from the upper cretaceous Mussentuchit member of the Cedar Mountain Formation. Society of Vertebrate Paleontology Abstracts of Papers 75th Annual Meeting, November 2015. (Accepted for poster presentation)
- 13. Herzog, L. L., Zanno, L.E. 2015. Histological and Computed Tomographic (CT) Analysis of Paleopthological Limb Bones. NC State University 10th Annual Graduate Student Research Symposium Abstracts, p.65: and poster presentation.
- 12. Zanno LE, Arbour VM, Gates TA, Makovicky PJ, Loewen MA, Button K, Moyer AE, Bridges T, Herzog LL . 2015. Body mass transformations in the mid-Cretaceous of North America: how eustasy, range restrictions, and clade sorting shaped the evolution of dinosaur size. J Vert Paleontol Progr Abstr, 2015, 244
- 11. Herzog, L. L., Zanno, L.E., and Kirkland J. I. 2014. Histological Analysis of an Enigmatic Microstructural Paleopathology on Limb Bones of the Theropod Dinosaur Falcarius utahensis. Society of Vertebrate Paleontology Abstracts of Papers 74th Annual Meeting, November 2014.
- 10. Zanno, L., Kirkland, J., and Herzog L. L. 2014. Second Therizinosaurian Mass Death Locality in the Lower Cretaceous Cedar Mountain Formation Yields a New Taxon. Society of Vertebrate Paleontology Abstracts of Papers 74th Annual Meeting, November 2014.
- 9. Herzog, L., Zanno, L. E., and Mackoviky, P. J. 2014. New Solemydid turtle specimens from the upper cretaceous Musssentuchit Member of the Cedar Mountain Formation. Proceedings of the Mid-Mesozoic: The Age of Dinosaurs in Transition Conference. Kirkland, J., Foster, J., Hunt-Foster, R., Liggett, G. A. and Trujillo, K. eds.
- 8. Zanno, L.E., Kirkland, J. I., and Herzog, L. 2014. Second Mass-Death Locality of a Basal Therizinosaur From the Lower Cretaceous Cedar Mountain Formation, East Central Utah: a probable new taxon. Proceedings of the Mid-Mesozoic: The Age of Dinosaurs in Transition Conference. Kirkland, J., Foster, J., Hunt-Foster, R., Liggett, G. A. and Trujillo, K. eds.
- 7. Herzog, L. 2014. Solutions for small delicate specimens: print your own form fitted specimen cradle. Abstracts of the 7th Annual Fossil Preparation and Collections Symposium, Utah Museum of Natural History.
- 6. Herzog, L. and A. Shinya. 2009. Effective Micropreparation Workstation Setup. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 29(Supplement to No.3):114A
- 5. Bergwall, L. 2008. Fossil Preparation Test: an indication of manual skills. First Annual Fossil Preparation and Collections Symposium, Abstracts of papers 1:5
- 4. Shinya, A. and L. Bergwall. 2007. Pyrite oxidation: Review and prevention practices. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 27(Supplement to No.3):145A
- 3. Bergwall, L. and A. Shinya. 2005. Traveling with Elmer. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 25(Supplement to No.3):36A
- 2. Shinya, A., Bergwall, L. and C. VanBeek. 2005. BSV scaling: A simple viscosity scale for adhesives and consolidants and its applications. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 25(Supplement to No.3):115A
- 1. Bergwall, L. 2001. Preparing for acid preparation by embedding in resin: Solving the problem of silvering. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 21(Supplement to No.3)
- Herzog, L. 2014. Ancient turtle comes into focus, piece by piece. Inside NC Sciences. News & Observer, (and) Charlotte Observer, March 20, 2016.
- Herzog, L. 2014. NC Museum of Natural Sciences’ summer haul? 2 tons of dinosaur bones. Inside NC Sciences. News & Observer, (and) Charlotte Observer, October 5, 2014.
- Herzog, L, Schweitzer, M and Zanno L. 2013. Willo’s Change of Heart. The Naturalist. Spring 2013. pp 6-7.
- Herzog, L. 2010. 3rd Annual Fossil Preparation & Collections Symposium Schedule and Abstracts Booklet. Lisa Herzog, ed.
- Herzog, L. 2010. Designing a Micropreparation Workstation. The Geological Curator 9(3): 6pp.
- Bergwall, L. 2009. Fossil preparation test: an indication of manual skills. In: Methods In Fossil Preparation: Proceedings of the First Annual Fossil Preparation and Collections Symposium, pp 35-40. Brown, M.A., Kane, J.F., and Parker, W.G. Eds.