This program is full, but if you’d like to be added to the waiting list, please go ahead and fill out the registration form!
As summer creeps up toward the mountaintops, join us for a weekend exploring the biodiversity of the Smokies. Examine early summer wildflowers, learn about the inhabitants of the mountain ecosystem, and participate in ongoing research projects in the park. Camping at the Appalachian Highlands Learning Center, we might even get to experience the flickering glow of the Park’s amazing fireflies! Participants are encouraged to bring their own sleeping bag and pad, but the Museum can supply most other camping gear you might need.
Credit: 20 contact hours toward CEUs or Criteria II/III for North Carolina’s Environmental Education Certification Program
Registration information: Educator Trek Online Registration
Once you complete the online registration form, you will receive an email confirming that there is a space available in the workshop(s) you requested and an invoice for the Trek deposit (typically $25/workshop). You will need to return the invoice with payment within two weeks to confirm your space. Any balance of the workshop fee is due at the time of the workshop and can be brought with you. If the workshop is already full at the time we receive your registration, you will be notified and placed on a waiting list.
Health and Safety Precautions:
- Participants and instructors will meet at the Appalachian Highlands Learning Center in Haywood County, NC. The Museum is unable to provide transportation at this time.
- The Museum will supply an individual tent for each participant. Due to size limitations, participants must use Museum tents.
- Meals provided by the Museum will be individually packaged.
- Most workshop activities will be conducted in the outdoors.
- Face coverings are required when social distancing is not possible and during any time spent indoors.
All in-person programs will follow current state and federal health guidelines and apply a range of safety measures to mitigate health risks, including smaller class sizes, moving into larger rooms (if indoors), keeping participants a safe distance from each other and increasing sanitation efforts.
Please note that in-person programs are subject to change or cancellation depending on COVID-19 restrictions. A full refund would be provided in event of a cancellation.