Assistant Head, Astronomy & Astrophysics Research Lab
11 West Jones Street, Raleigh, NC 27601
- Ph.D. in Physics with Astronomy specialization, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL, 2007
- M.S. in Physics with Astronomy specialization, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL, 2000
- B.S. in Physics with an option in Astrophysics (with Honors), New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology, Socorro, NM, 1998
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of Arkansas at Little Rock, Arkansas Center for Space and Planetary Sciences (University of Arkansas, Fayetteville), 2009 - 2012
- Visiting Researcher, University of Oulu, 2008
Dr. Patrick Treuthardt's work deals with understanding the evolution of nearby galaxies by studying their different forms and structures. He is especially interested in barred and non-barred spiral galaxies and how their morphology connects to the supermassive black hole they harbor in their nucleus, as well as the enormous halo of dark matter they reside in. Patrick collects spectroscopic data in order to measure the velocities of the gas and stars that make up a galaxy. He collects multi-wavelength imaging data in order to measure and quantify various observed structures. He also produces dynamical simulation models in order to recreate what is observed both spectroscopically and through imaging. Doing so allows him to routinely bridge the gap between the observational and theoretical realms of extragalactic astronomy.
- Mutlu Pakdil, B., Mangedarage, M., Seigar, M. S., & Treuthardt, P. 2017. A photometric study of the peculiar and potentially double ringed, non-barred galaxy: PGC 1000714, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 466, 355-368.
- Sierra, A., Seigar, M. S., Treuthardt, P., & Puerari, I. 2015. Determination of resonance locations in barred spiral galaxies using multiband photometry, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 450, 1799-1811.
- Treuthardt, P., Seigar, M. S., Sierra, A. D., Al-Baidhany, I., Salo, H., Kennefick, D., Kennefick, J. & Lacy, C. H. S. 2012. On the Link Between Central Black Holes, Bar Dynamics, and Dark Matter Halos in Spiral Galaxies, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 423, 3118-3133.
- Treuthardt, P., Salo, H., & Buta, R. 2009. Dynamical Simulations of NGC 2523 and NGC 4245, The Astronomical Journal, 137, 19-33.
- Treuthardt, P., Salo, H., Rautiainen, P., & Buta, R. 2008. The Bar Pattern Speed of NGC 1433 Estimated Via Sticky-Particle Simulations, The Astronomical Journal, 136, 300-311.
- Treuthardt, P., Buta, R., Salo, H., & Laurikainen, E. 2007. The Kinematically Measured Pattern Speeds of NGC 2523 and NGC 4245, The Astronomical Journal, 134, 1195-1205.
- Buta, R., Treuthardt, P. M., Byrd, G. G., & Crocker, D. A. 2000. Circumnuclear Star Formation in the Early-Type Resonance Ring Barred Spiral Galaxy NGC 1326, The Astronomical Journal, 120, 1289-1305.