Sticky, gooey and elastic liquids have peculiar properties that are studied in a field called rheology, a type of physics. Fun-filled demos and hands-on activities aimed at middle school to early high school students highlight this event, and are intended to empower students from all backgrounds to pursue STEM fields. Come learn about a wide array of fascinating STEM topics while making a sticky, icky mess!
- Oobleck 101
- Slimy Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Magnetic Fluids – They’re Alive!
- Incredible Swelling Gels
- Magical Mystery Sand
- Tubeless Siphon and Die Swell
- Rod Climbing of “Anti-gravity” Liquids
- The Great Viscosity Race
- Super Slippery Elastic Liquid Goo
- Is It Liquid or Is It Solid? It’s Silly Putty!
Activity instructions & videos (UMass-Amherst NNFD Lab)
Hosted by the Society of Rheology