NC Museum of Natural Sciences at Whiteville
Hours: Tuesday–Saturday, 9am–5pm
Admission is free. Donations appreciated.
415 South Madison Street
Whiteville, NC 28472
The dynamic indoor-outdoor nature and science learning center has been repurposed to feature new exhibits, an Investigate Lab, Nature Exploration Center, a Distance Learning Classroom, and an outdoor Nature PlaySpace.
The new museum experience in Whiteville is modeled after proven interactive programs at the Museum’s Raleigh-based Nature Research Center, Nature Education Center, and Prairie Ridge Ecostation for Wildlife and Learning, and has several new features.
- Investigate Lab: Visitors of all ages can discover the scientific process by trying a range of experiments with tools and techniques including microscopes, pipettes and more.
- Naturalist Center: Featuring an extensive collection of specimens from butterflies to bear claws, snakes to seahorses, and sand dollars to spiders, visitors are encouraged to explore the natural collection.
- Nature PlaySpace: Designed to celebrate the importance of outdoor play in the lives and education of children, the space includes areas for art, digging, and exploration. Children can climb over logs and boulders, roll in the grass, make mud pies, observe nature and dig for fossils.
- Discovery Forest: Developed for young children and families to discover natural wonders from bird wings to beaver sticks, the space is an ideal area for intergenerational learning.
- In Your Backyard Resource Center: An information area—featuring material about state parks, aquariums, and other sites within the NC Department of Environment and Natural Resources—where visitors can plan to continue their exploration of North Carolina’s natural places.
- Distance Learning Classroom: A space designed to virtually link visitors and students at the Whiteville Museum with scientists at the Raleigh Museum and other locations.
For more information, contact the Museum at 910.914.4185, or email@example.com.
The Investigate Lab, an interactive space to pursue the scientific process, is one of the new features at the NC Museum of Natural Sciences at Whiteville.
The North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences at Whiteville offers programs and activities for all ages.
Young explorers have a place for guided science and nature exploration in the Discovery Forest.
Outdoor nature play and discovery is the focus of the Nature PlaySpace.