Hours & Admissions
North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences
Monday–Saturday: 9 am–5 pm
Sunday: noon–5 pm
Thursdays & First Fridays — Every Thursday and the first Friday of every month (except as noted) we are open until 9 pm.
Note: The Discovery Room and Living Conservatory are closed on Mondays.
The Nature Research Center will close early, at 3pm, Friday, April 26. The Main Museum will be open until 5pm, except for Titanic: The Artifact Exhibition, which is open until 9pm with last entry at 8pm.
- Monday, September 30 (Staff Professional Development Day)
- Thursday, November 28 (Thanksgiving)
- Tuesday, December 24 & Wednesday, December 25 (Christmas)
- Wednesday, January 1, 2014 (New Year's Day)
General Admission is free, although donations are cheerfully accepted. There is a cover charge for Special Exhibits and the 3D Theater. Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
Nature Research Center
Same as the main building (above), except as noted.
The Naturalist Center and Labs close an hour before the rest of the NRC.
Prairie Ridge Ecostation
Monday–Saturday: 9 am–4:30 pm
Sunday: noon–4:30 pm
The main gate is locked at 5 pm daily.
Dates Closed 2012
- Sunday & Monday, January 1& 2 (New Year's Day)
- Monday, January 16 (Martin Luther King's Birthday)
- Friday, April 6 (Good Friday)
- Monday, May 28 (Memorial Day)
- Wednesday, July 4 (Independence Day)
- Monday, September 3 (Labor Day)
- Monday, November 12 (Veteran's Day)
- Thursday & Friday, November 22 & 23 (Thanksgiving)
- Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday December 24, 25 & 26 (Christmas)
Please note that public restrooms are not yet available at the facility.
Prairie Ridge was established to protect wildlife, provide outdoor learning opportunities and promote respect for natural resources.
- Carry out all trash and litter
- Enjoy the natural sounds
- Park in designated areas only
- Leave your bike in the racks provided
- Leave plants, animals, and minerals as you find them
- Bring dogs or other pets
- Play amplified music
- Use campfires, firearms or fireworks
- Bring or consume alcoholic beverages on premises
- Smoke on property