Nature Play Time
Join us at Prairie Ridge each Tuesday this summer for our series of informal play opportunities! We will have special activities set up in the Playspace just for kids, such as making mud pies and weaving cattails. The topic changes each week (listed below), so drop in between 10 and 11:30am to have some fun playing and learning about the natural world!
Contact Mary Colbert with questions at email@example.com or 919.707.9807.
In case of inclement weather, call the Prairie Ridge weather line at 919.707.8888, option 5, for information about possible cancellations.
Play Time Topics:
- June 24: Bubbles. Can you imagine if you lived in a world full of bubbles? Come out and join our team to blow bubbles in lots of different sizes.
- July 1: Leaf Rubbing. If I were a leaf… I wonder what I would wear? Create a masterpiece by using crayons to transfer a leaf onto paper. If you want to be creative, draw a picture frame and use different colors to have your leaves tell a story.
- July 8:Drawing. Have you ever drawn with a rock or drawn on a tree? Graphite is a natural rock that is found along our streams and is a material you can use like pencil lead to write or draw with. Enjoy sitting under a tree and drawing on a tree cookie, or use your tree cookie to take orders.
- July 15: Mud Pies! A little bit of water, a hunk of dirt, a sprinkle of this and that, and a few minutes in the sun. Join us by the mud bowl and make your favorite mud dish.
- July 22: Weaving. If you have mad skills with your hands, please join us and learn the art of weaving with cattails.
- July 29: Measuring. This day is all about measuring the things around us. By using different measuring tools we can measure height, length, width, and volume of water, logs, trees, and anything else we find.
- Aug 5: Painting. Enjoy some time in the shade and the calming stroke of the paint brush while creating your very own masterpiece.
- Aug 12: What to Do With a Cardboard Box. What can you do with a cardboard box? Use your imagination and creativity to transform your box into a house, community center, arcade game, stage, or a cardboard maze.
- Aug 19: Tightrope Walking. How's your balance? Come test it by walking our tightrope!
- Aug 26: Worms. Have fun making a worm craft and learn some fun facts about worms! When you are finished, you can find/make a home for your worm.
- Sep 2: Boats. Design your very own boat by using recycled and natural materials and then see if it can float!