Member Exclusive: Family Safari Night
Spend a night under the stars with exclusive overnight access to Prairie Ridge Ecostation at our first annual Family Safari Night camping adventure Sept. 13-14!
- Pitch a tent and sleep under the stars.
- Roast wienies and marshmallows around the campfire.
- Discover the obscure twilight behaviors of Prairie Ridge’s nocturnal inhabitants “after dark” with night hikes, mammal tracking, black-light insect viewing and bat activities.
- Join astronomers from the Raleigh Astronomy Club for an evening of star gazing featuring Saturn, Mars, the Moon and other objects in the summer night sky.
- Rise and shine for a bird hike, continental breakfast and more!
Space is limited. Pre-registration is required. Tickets are $45 for a Family Tent with up to 4 people; $25 for a Small Tent with up to 2 people. Each additional guest is $10. (Example: A family of 5 requires 2 tickets: one $45 Family Tent plus one $10 Additional Guest for a total cost of $55). Maximum tent footprint is 10’ x 10’. If you need more space, please purchase an additional tent ticket. Children must be accompanied by a ticketed adult.
Ticket price includes all programming, campfire cookout and continental breakfast. Event will proceed rain or shine. Staff will contact participants with instructions in the event of severe weather.
Campsite is located to the right of the Nature Play Space. Please be aware that there are no showers and no electricity. Public bathrooms are available in the Outdoor Classroom. Parking is not directly adjacent to the campsite. Please pack light or be prepared to make a few trips up and down the hill. Staff will be available onsite to assist you. Tent setup begins at 4pm. Programming begins at 5pm.
What to bring
- Tent (ground cloth recommended).
- Sleeping bags for everyone in your party.
- Sleeping pads (recommended) and a battery powered or manual air pump if needed.
- Battery-powered lanterns if you want extra light in your tent.
- Camp or lawn chairs.
- Dinnerware: break-proof plate or bowl, spoon, knife, fork, mug.
- Rain jacket, umbrella, or a poncho in case of rain.
- Water bottle.
- Any medications you might need.
- Change of clothes.
- Extra pair of shoes in case yours get wet.
- Jacket or sweater (it can cool down at night!).
- Insect repellant.
- Any toiletries you can’t live without.
- No pets.
- Amplified music.
- Tents larger than 10’ x 10’.
- Butane lanterns or cooking equipment.
- Additional campfires.
Sponsored by Great Outdoor Provision Company.
Picking up supplies?
Great Outdoor Provision Company (www.greatoutdoorprovision.com) will donate 10% of all purchases associated with this event between now and September 13 to the Friends of the Museum. Just mention “Safari Night” when you check out.
If you require a vegetarian option for the cookout or need more information, please contact Andrea Jones at 919.707.9839 or firstname.lastname@example.org.