Biotechnology in Your Daily Life
ISPE and Kelly Services are partnering with the NC Museum of Natural Sciences for the inaugural Biotechnology Day: “Biotechnology in Your Daily Life!” The goal of this event is to educate the public (scientists and non-scientists) about the effects biotechnology has on our everyday lives. Let’s help demystify biotechnology for families around the Triangle! Organizations (companies, educational institutions, non-profits) from around the state will be participating with hands-on demonstrations, experiments and crafts. There will also be speakers throughout the day.
- Mobile Unit: Walk around a hands-on training unit
- Color & Name the Nucleotides.
- Practicing with Pipettes
- Yeast Respiration Demo
- Sep-Pak Purple Drink Mix Color Separation.
- Micropipette & Gel Loading Station
- Kool-aid Column Chromatography
Daily Planet Schedule
|10am||A Drug Comes to Market||Pam Paulsen, Senior Learning Technologist, PPD|
|11am||Are You Taking Biotech Medicines?||Tim Bloom, PhD, Vice Chair and Associate Professor, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Campbell University|
|noon||The Primate Armpit Microbiome Project||Julie Urban, Ph.D., Assistant Director, Genomics & Microbiology Laboratory|
|1pm||A Day in the Life of Beer||Sumit Vohra, CEO & Chief Drinking Officer Lonerider Brewing Company|
|2pm||Why Drugs Are So Expensive||Clare A. Matti, MA, RAC (US, EU), Assistant Director, Regulatory Services, Duke Clinical Research Institute|
|3pm||Better Crops for a Better Future||Joerg Bauer, PhD, BASF Corp|
Windows on the World Schedule
|10:30am||Development of Vaccines Against Insect-Borne Viral Diseases||Malcolm Thomas, CEO Arbovax Inc|
|11:30am||Taking the Good from the Bad: Protein Purification Techniques Used in the Biotechnology Industry||Nii Odoi Oddoye, Senior Technology Engineer, Pfizer|
|2:30pm||What Can Growing Plants in Space Teach Us about Growing Plants on Earth?||Dr. John D. Mayfield, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Duke University Institute of Genome Science and Policy|
- BASF: “Plant Science Innovation Yields Results” – Take a look at DNA Extraction Techniques!
- Bayer Crop Science: “Bayer CropScience – Science for a Better Life”
- Biogen Idec: Partnering with BTEC (see below)
- North Carolina State University BTEC: “Biotechnology and Biomanufacturing in your Life - Some Fun Experiments” - Grape Soda Column Chromatography and Starch Iodide Experiment
- BioNetwork Capstone Center: “DNA Code Bracelet” – DNA Origami! Crack the DNA Vocabulary Code! Take a look at a Portable Hood with Particle Counter!
- BRITE: “BRITE IS BIOTECHNOLOGY” – Gel Loading Stations – Learn how to Use a Micropipette!
- Campbell University: “Biotech RX – Biomanufacturing Medications” – Coloring and Cutting out Nucleotides, Learning how to Pipette, Yeast Respiration Demonstration
- Duke Clinical Research Institute: Learn CPR. Save a Life.
- East Carolina University
- Environmental Protection Agency: “Going Green: New Technologies for Environmental Studies” – Learn out tracking pollutants at a personal level and how they affect health!
- FujiFilm Diosynth Biotechnologies: “Biotechnology in Your Daily Life” - Fun Experiment Dealing with Ink and Filter Paper!
- GrassRoots Biotechnology: “Tapping Into a Greener Future” – Take a look at a glow in the dark plant!!
- Intrexon: “Biotechnology in Agriculture” - Examples of Plant Regeneration, Plant Tissue Culture, and Plants Used for Biofeuls. Also DNA Extraction from Plants!
- ISPE, Carolina-South Atlantic (CASA) Chapter: “There’s More to Biotechnology than Meets the Eye”
- Johnston County Community College: “Biotech Basics for Everyone to Know” – Make Slime!!
- Kelly Scientific Resources: “Understanding the Immune Response” – Come play a fun game while learning how our bodies fight infections!
- Medicago: “Plant-Based Vaccines” - Learn the Planting Process!
- Monsanto: “Applications of Biotechnology to Enhance Crop Productivity” -
- North Carolina Biotechnology Center: VIDEO: "Heal, Feed, Sustain: How Biotechnology Can Help Save the World."
- North Carolina FFA: “North Carolina FFA”
- North Carolina State University Plant Pathology: “Advancing Agriculture”
- Novozymes: “Rethinking Every Day Products with Biotechnology” - Everyday Products that Utilize Enzymes!
- Pfizer: “Pfizer” – Take a look at the Filters, Clamps, Pipes, etc that are used in Biotechnology Everyday! Also, come get the chance to see some bacteria plated!
- UNC: “How Muscles Do Work: The Sarcomere”