North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences
Monday–Wednesday, Friday & Saturday: 9 am–5 pm
Thursdays and First Fridays : 9am-9pm
Sunday: noon–5 pm
Note: The Living Conservatory is closed on Mondays.
- The main building will close at 3pm on Wednesday, March 5. The NRC will be open normal hours.
- Thursday, November 27 (Thanksgiving)
- Wednesday, December 24 & Thursday, December 25 (Christmas)
- Thursday, January 1, 2015 (New Year's Day)
General Admission is free, although donations are cheerfully accepted. There is a cover charge for the Birds of Paradise special exhibit  and 3D movies . Discounts are available!
Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
Nature Research Center
Same as the main building (above), except as noted.
The Naturalist Center and Labs close an hour before the rest of the NRC.
Prairie Ridge Ecostation
Monday–Saturday: 9 am–4:30 pm
Sunday: noon–4:30 pm
The main gate is locked at 5 pm daily.
Closed on state holidays. You can find a list of state holidays on the State Office of Human Resources site .
Prairie Ridge was established to protect wildlife, provide outdoor learning opportunities and promote respect for natural resources.
- Carry out all trash and litter
- Enjoy the natural sounds
- Park in designated areas only
- Leave your bike in the racks provided
- Leave plants, animals, and minerals as you find them
- Bring dogs or other pets
- Play amplified music
- Use campfires, firearms or fireworks
- Bring or consume alcoholic beverages on premises
- Smoke on property